From Wiki Grepolis
While the hero-feature is in the stage of beta testing, we will provide a list of known issues regarding the game mechanics (not bugs!):
- Some players think that recruiting and leveling heroes takes too long. We will closely watch this and we will most likely add new ways to gain additional Coins.
Heroes are just like regular units in many respects, but there are a few features that set them apart:
- Heroes are not recruited in a building, I will explain more about recruiting heroes later though.
- Heroes are not paid for with resources, but with either "Coins of War" or "Coins of Wisdom " which can be obtained by completing Island Quests.
- Each hero has one special skill that can be found in his or her description, each skill will impact the game in a particular way.
- By investing "Coins of War" or "Coins of Wisdom", heroes can reach new levels (up to level 20), this will improve their base values and special skills
- Heroes are not lost if you restart on a world.
- Heroes don‘t die. Following a defeat they are merely wounded and regain their strength over time.
- Heroes are not tied to the population of cities.
- Heroes can be assigned to towns, but there can be no more than one hero in one city at the same time.
- Heroes cannot be used to support other cities or players. They can be used only for your own attacks or in your own towns. They will also not stay when conquering a town.
- After an attack commenced, the hero will immediately return to his home town without travel time.
A new interface element has been added, you can find it just below the God in the top right of your screen. If you click the element, it opens up the Hero Overview.
In the Hero Overview Screen you can see some of the information about the heroes you employ:
- Level, image, type and name of a hero
- Status: wounded, assigned to a city (or running assignment process), in combat
- Current experience points
Please note that you cannot own all heroes right from the start. In the early stages there is only one hero slot available. For each additional culture level you will receive another hero slot. If you don't want to wait, you can unlock an additional slot immediately by paying 250 Gold. There may also be exclusive heroes, which you can get in the course of in-game events or by other means. Exclusive heroes will always come with their very own additional hero slot, but they cannot be recruited by paying coins. However, all exclusive heroes will become common heroes a few months after their introduction.
Heroes that are shown as wounded will need 18 hours (divided by world's speed) until completely healed. During that time, you can still level up that hero and he/she will still provide his special ability to his town (if applicable). However, a wounded hero will not fight personally, neither in attack, nor in defense.
As you can see, there are many functions and tabs along with the the hero feature. I am now going to go through each of these.
You will notice that the feature comes with its own new resource:
The blue ones are Coins of Wisdom, the red ones are Coins of War. You will need them to recruit new heroes and to level-up your existing ones.
To gain this precious resource, you just have to finish Island Quests. Which type of Coin you will receive depends on your decisions!
Also keep in mind that every player can gain the same amount of Coins per day when finishing all available Island Quests. If Island Quests spawn rather seldom because of the amount of your overall points, you will receive more Coins per Island Quest to make up for the lower spawn rate. In the end, everyone could earn up to 24 Coins per day.
Recruiting a Hero
Clicking on the "Recruiting" tab opens up a window that looks like this:
You will usually see one Hero of War and one Hero of Wisdom being offered to you. This offer will change at midnight though. If you choose to buy one of the heroes, the other one will fade away as well. By paying 50 Gold, you can immediately refresh the offer instead of waiting until midnight.
The choice you get is random, but only heroes that you do not already own are shown. To acquire a "Hero of War" you need to spend "Coins of War" which you earn by successfully completing Island Quests in an aggressive manner. Generally speaking, "Heroes of War" are useful for any kind of military action. Some of the heroes in this category are good defenders, while other "Heroes of War" excel in leading your armies into battle. "Heroes of Wisdom" on the other hand are paid with "Coins of Wisdom ", which you get by solving Island Quests the wise way. The "Heroes of Wisdom" usually help to improve the economy of your cities by, for example, having a positive effect on building times, production of resources and the like.
Should you ever lack a few Coins of one type for your endeavors, don't hesitate to use the coin exchange. It will allow you trade Coins of War for Coins of Wisdom at rate of 2:1 and vice versa. Although you will have a loss, this feature can be helpful if your desired hero is being offered and just a few Coins are missing.
If you click the little button behind the experience bars, a new window will appear which is solely used for leveling up the chosen hero. This window will display all the changes which will be applied after a successful level-up, as well as the needed amount of Coins (of War or Wisdom) to reach that level. The base stats (attack, defense) will increase, as well as the power of that hero's special ability!
Assigning a Hero
In the overview, you can assign up to one hero to each town. Heroes that are assigned to a town will give you two benefits:
- If the city is attacked the hero will defend the city just like common land units
- The special abilities of heroes can only unfold while being in a town
The process of assigning a hero takes up to 6 hours (divided by the world's speed), it is the time the hero needs to "move into the city". During this time the hero will not yet bring any benefits. You can manually withdraw a hero from a town at any time.
If your town is conquered, the assigned hero will be automatically detached and released.
For your convinience, you can also see if a hero is currently assigned to the active town in the interface element at the top right (below the Gods). The interface element will also indicate whether a hero is currently being assigned, wounded or moving to attack.
Council of Heroes
And finally, if you click on the "Council" tab, you will be able to see all of the Heroes that there are in the game, along with all of their stats.